Drix Studio’s new tactical RPG, Grand Guilds is officially out now on Nintendo Switch and PC
Drix Studio’s new game, Grand Guilds funded through a hard-fought Kickstarter campaign back in 2018, just recently released for Nintendo Switch and PC on March 26. The game is a tactical RPG with a card combat system, which makes it a unique addition to the Switch library and maybe just in general. Have a look at the release date trailer below which showcases gameplay elements such as dialogue and combat.
What is the game’s synopsis?
For those unfamiliar with the game, here’s a rundown of the synopsis. After a year-long mission, the game’s protagonist Eliza returns to the seemingly normal city of Ozryn. When suddenly a horde of mysterious creatures set fire to the streets. Upon repelling the enemies, Eliza and her guild strive to discover where the attackers came from, only to realize that the phenomenon happened all over the continent… all at the same time.
With her guild’s reputation on the line, she takes it upon herself to find and capture whoever is behind the attacks. It is up to Eliza and her trusted guildmates to discern the true motive behind the unusual assault before the other guilds of Irin suffer the same fate, or worse. As Eliza, you and your allies can travel the world with an airship name Mami. Where you’ll explore the lands of Irin, encounter sidequests and progress through the main story.
In terms of gameplay, the game takes inspiration from various collectible card games out there. And puts an unusual focus on deck building. Players will enter strategic combat where they’ll need to move their characters across a grid-based map. The game’s characters will have individual customizable “skill decks”. And new abilities can still be obtained through leveling up or completing quests. Characters are also said to come with unique mechanics in general, and parts of the game will include voice acting. Meanwhile, the combat, being tactical, can be described as a mix of the tactical warfare you’d find in the Final Fantasy Tactics. With the card-based combat system of Slay The Spire. Hence, players must consider positioning and terrain as you battle, if you are to survive.
Check out the game’s key features below:
- Turn-Based Strategy – Learn and master the fundamentals of tactical combat. Positioning and terrain will mean the difference between victory and defeat.
- Card Combat System – A diverse set of skill cards will form the abilities of your units, making every turn more dynamic and each decision more important and meaningful.
- Deck Building – Tailor each character to your playstyle by customizing their skill decks. Obtain powerful new abilities by completing quests or leveling your characters.
- Guild Quests – Embark on challenging, procedural missions that yield exciting rewards. Increase your guild’s reputation to earn bonuses that will aid you in combat.
- Diverse Cast – Each playable character has unique mechanics and abilities that enable them to fill various roles in your squad such as tank, support, and damage dealer.
- Epic Narrative – Unravel the mysteries shrouding Irin, a continent on the brink of war. Follow Eliza and her companions as they journey through this vast, magical world.
- Voice Acting – Characters shout out their actions in combat and express their feelings during dialogue using short phrases.
Grand Guilds is available now on the Nintendo Switch, Steam, and the game subscription service Utomik. It will also most likely release for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One at a later date.
You may find interesting: Terror Squid launches this Spring 2020